Saturday, May 29, 2010

RUNNING FOR TREES - Nature Valley Fun Run 2010

RUNNING.....Running is such a popular fitness activity these days that in spite of the evening heat, I can still see a lot of people running around Global City. Well, actually I am one of them but what I actually do is run a few hundred metres then it would turn into a leisure jog then to a brisk walk before settling into a stroll around Bonifacio Global City. But after 10 to 20 minutes of walking, I would then run again, briefly, then finally jog and crawl back to a leisure walk back to our place. This will go on for a little over an hour two to three times a week.

Why did I go into running (actually jogging)? I joined some fun runs back when I was still in the university and I occasionally jog around the campus and in our subdivision when we still had a house in Antipolo. I usually do it alone and not with anybody else less they see how physically unfit I was. Unfortunately, to this day, I still am. After that, I lost interest and have not picked up running until some people in the place where I work thought of encouraging us to participate in running events as part of the company's regular activities. Of course, the company partly sponsors our participation. So here I am jogging in fun runs! More importantly, I just want to lose weight (my doctor sternly reminded me to engage in regular exercise). Perhaps after I do lose weight, then I can stop punishing myself. But seriously, I hope to keep on jogging and running for fitness and health and I need all the help, prayers, encantations and motivation to keep me from falling back to a sedentary lifestyle.

I digress, this Sunday, 30 May 2010, a few of us will be participating in the Nature Valley (sponsor!!! God bless them!) Run in Bonifacio Global City. As they say in their flyers, ONE RUNNER = ONE TREE. For every registered participant, one tree will be planted in the Ipo Watershed in Norzagaray, Bulacan. This is being done in cooperation with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources' Bayanihang Bayan Legacy Project. Of course, any reclaimed hectares of land with planted trees will not survive if not tended to. It is here that we commend the assistance of the Dumagat community who we hope will take care of these trees we help plant. Let us ensure that our sponsors, Nature Valley, the DENR and others will follow through and assist the community in taking care of our trees long after the fun run.

See you in the race. You can see me there, an unfit fellow jogging in the midst of runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment